In this episode of Spirit of The Law, we discuss the inheritance rights of women or female children. Our guest Sithembiso Radebe addresses all the issues relating the subject, and how her organization – Legal Aid South Africa – is involved in the administration of the deceased’s estates. Topics discussed include:
- What laws make provision for administration of the deceased’s estate and what is the provision in relation to women and female children?
- Are there some customary practices that serve as a hindrance for women to inherit?
- What happens when cultural practices come into play that prevent female children or women from inheriting?
- How is it dealt with? Or how do the courts deal with it?
- Will such a cultural prohibition on inheritance amount to discrimination?
Sithembiso Radebe addresses all these issues and so much more! Watch the video for more.
Kindly leave your comments in the space below, and let us know what you think about the topic? Do you know of someone that was/is in the same situation? What was their experience?
We would love to hear from you!